What to wear in Goa in January? The question might be on your mind if you plan to celebrate your New Year in Goa. Goa has a lot of places to explore and one type of outfit is not going to suffice for all.
In order to figure out what to wear in Goa in January, you need to be aware of the weather conditions and locations you plan to cover. You cannot have the same attire if you want to chill at the beaches and pay a visit to the churches.
Goa holds a special place in my heart. It is one of my favourite travel destinations and I like to go back whenever I can. Therefore, I am here to assist you n planning your perfect Goa vacation. In my current blog, I will try and help you in choosing the best and most suitable outfits for your visit to Goa in January.
What to wear in Goa in January: Hip Outfits for Men & Women
There is no better place than Goa to spend your New Year. January is one of the best months to visit Goa. Christmas and new year have just ended, and the crowds start to thin out. This means lower prices of accommodation and relatively empty beaches. In case you are interested, here are some of my recommendations for the best budget tried and tested budget accommodations in Goa.
The weather in Goa in January is very pleasant. Despite being the driest month, January does not feel as hot as other months. The skies are clear, the sea is calm and the sun is pretty merciful too. Therefore, this is a good month to plan your Goan holiday.
Before I go into the details of what to wear in Goa in January, here is a quick overview:
|Weather Conditions in Goa during January
Hot and Dry
Average Day Temperature- 30 degrees Celsius
Average Night Temperature- 22 degrees Celsius
|What to Wear in Goa in January for Women?
Dresses – long and short
Full-length pants/ palazzo for temples, churches, etc
Swimwear for the beaches
Cotton Shorts/Skirts for almost everywhere
Tops to go with trousers, shorts & skirts
Flip flops/ Crocs
|What to Wear in Goa in January for Men?
Swimming shorts/ trunks for the beaches
Shorts/ Bermudas for almost everywhere
Cotton Shirts to go with shorts and trousers
T-Shirts/ Tank tops to go with shorts and trousers
Flip flops/ Crocs
7 Must-Know Goa Dressing Tips for January
When it comes to dressing up in Goa, you have several choices. I will be discussing what to wear in goa in January, in the paragraphs below. However, before I go into those details, there are certain dressing tips for Goa in January that will be helpful.
These tips are:
|Favour Natural Fibres
When in Goa, wear only natural fibre fabrics such as Jute, Cotton, Linen, Silk etc. They are comfortable in the hot and sunny weather of Goa in January. These will allow your skin to breathe. Therefore, try to pack such fabrics along.
|Ditch the makeup
Wearing a lot of makeup especially at the beachside is not a great idea. Ladies, you don’t want your makeup to smudge all over. Wear sunscreen and your moisturizer. That and a hat is all you need.
|Sunscreen is a must
The sun can be very harsh in Goa, make sure you carry a good sunscreen with a high SPF. Also, make sure you reapply it after every few hours.
|Let the Denim be
Jeans might sound comfortable but they aren’t really a good choice for Goa. The humidity will make you sweat underneath your favourite jeans. So, I would suggest you avoid any kind of denim, especially those skinny jeans.
|Leather? Not at all!
Leather can make you sweat really bad! Goa can get really hot during day time, and wearing any type of leather will just make it worse. Ditch all the leather jackets, shorts or skirts. There is no place for those in Goa.
|Innerwear is not Swimwear
If you do plan to go swimming, buy proper swimwear! Please do not wear your innerwear as a swimwear. That is just cringeworthy. The swimwear need not be too fancy or expensive. Depending on your budget and what you are comfortable with, you can choose from several options. This goes for men as well as women.
|Ladies- No Heels Please!
Ladies, unpack those heels. You don’t need them here. Even if you plan to go to a club for parties, no one expects you to be in stilettos.
If you are still keen on bringing a pair, carry the low height wedges.
What to wear in Goa in January depends on where you are going. If you are going to the beach, your attire is going to be different from what you will wear when exploring Goa’s other attractions.
Here are some of my outfit recommendations for Goa based on locations:
Goa Beach Dress Code for Men & Women
The best beaches of Goa are a delight in January. The day temperatures are quite tolerable and you can spend a beautiful day by the beach. You can even go swimming or indulge in some water sports at the beach. Evenings are even better and nothing feels better than taking a stroll by the beach while the sun is setting.
Here are my recommendations for what to wear at Goa beaches in January:
4 Chic Beach Outfit Ideas For Women
1. Dresses– Dresses- the more the better! Dresses are the most comfortable and stylish piece of clothing for this season. You can also wear these dresses when you are out exploring the towns and cities of Goa. You can also wear them as party outfits. Boho, summer and maxi dresses are the best choice for the beaches in Goa. Therefore, depending on the length of your stay, pack as many as you can.
2. Shorts – No piece of clothing is as useful as shorts. You can pair them up with tank tops, crop tops or spaghetti tops. They are not only comfortable but they also give you the ease of movement. So, whether you wish to indulge in some water sports, go to a club or pub, or just want to visit the forts of Goa, they are a perfect choice. Pair your favourite t-shirts with shorts or pants or skirts. My favourite are the boyfriend T-shirts. They are not only comfortable but also look really cool with almost everything- skirts, shorts, trousers are the You could also carry some tank tops and other tops.
3. Skirts – Skirts are a pretty good choice too. Avoid leather and denim skirts. other than that you are good to go. Again, these can be paired with tank tops, spaghetti tops, t-shirts, etc.
4. Swim Wear – January is one of the best times to take a dip in the sea. The sea is calm and the water remains warm. Therefore, make sure you carry your swimsuits. You can wear any type of swimsuit at the beaches in Goa, be it monokinis, bikinis or the really cool tankinis for the shy ones. If you are not comfortable, go in for some good old shorts and a tank top. Note that cotton shorts are not a good option for the sea as they become see-through as soon as they get wet. Choose a polyester or nylon blended material.
If you are planning to wear a swimsuit, carry a Sarong, kaftan or a cover-up dress. Wear them over your swimsuits and you are good to chill on the beach. My favourite are tasselled cover-up dresses. They are light, airy, comfortable and look really nice.
|Tip: Please make sure to keep those Bikinis strictly to the beaches. Avoid wearing revealing outfit outside of beaches to avoid unwanted attention.|
Footwear: Pair your favourite dresses, shorts or swimsuits with a pair of flip flops or open sandals. Avoid wearing leather or suede flip flops, as the sand and water can stain them.
3 Uber Cool Beach Outfits For Men
1. Shorts – Shorts are a pretty great option to wear on the beach. Wear them with tank tops, shirts or t-shirts. Go for the lighter colours since they look the best on the beaches.
- Shirts go pretty well with shorts. Choose shirts that are a little loose. Printed shirts look the best with plain Bermuda shorts. Choose natural fabrics like linen, cotton, etc
- Along with the shirts, take along a few T-shirts and tank tops. Cotton and linen fabric are the best and most comfortable option.
2. Swimming Trunks/ Shorts – January is the perfect time to take a dip in the sea. If you plan to do so, make sure you carry swimwear i.e. swimming shorts or swimming trunks. These are usually made up of nylon or polyester and therefore dry up quickly.
3. Loose Pants – If you are not comfortable with the idea of shorts, it is perfectly alright to wear some loose pants. Pair them with some stylish t-shirts or shirts and you are good to chill on the beach.
Footwear- Avoid wearing any kind of closed shoes such as sneakers, boat shoes at the beaches. Flip flops and sandals are the best options for footwear at the beaches in Goa. They go well with all your attire. Avoid wearing leather or suede flip flops, as the sand and saltwater can stain them.
Comfortably Stylish Outfits for exploring Goa in January
There is much more to Goa than just beaches. You can visit famous temples, churches, fort and villages. While there is no dress code for places as such but some places may require you to dress more modestly.
Here are some of my recommendations:
4 Trendy Outfits For Women exploring Goa
1. Palazzos or Loose Pants – These are a very comfortable option for exploring Goa. They are airy, light and look great. These are my personal favourites. You can also choose to wear some loose cotton pants. There are a number of options available- from classic baggy pants to dhoti pants. Pick the style that suits you the best.
You can wear them with t-shirts, crop tops or tank tops. Wear them for – churches, temples, forts & beaches, essentially everywhere.
2. Shorts – You can also wear cotton shorts paired with T-shirts for exploring Goa. Make sure the shorts are of decent length. By decent, I mean at least mid-thigh. Booty shorts or hot pants is not really a good idea. If you are planning to go hiking or want to indulge in some adventure sports, stick to pants or shorts.
3. Dresses – Dresses are a good option as well. Also, make sure that the dresses are not too revealing or inappropriate if you are going to visit any religious places like temples and churches. Knee-length dresses can be worn in such places.
4. Skirts – Skirts are yet another comfortable option for Goa. While you can wear any length skirts in Goa, if you are visiting some old villages or religious places, I would suggest you stick to the knee-length skirts. Again, these go very well with tops, T-shirts, and shirts.
Scarf – Carry a couple of scarves with you. You can use them to protect yourself from the sun and also use it to cover up if you visit some religious places.
Sneakers/ Comfortable Shoes – Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers if you plan to indulge in some local sightseeing or wish to go for some hikes or just spend your time in places other than beaches. Walking around in flip flops gets tiring, so you need comfortable footwear.
Light Zipper/ Shrug- Goa doesn’t get as cold as northern India, not even close. Therefore, you need not carry any sweaters or jackets to Goa even in January. However, the temperature can dip slightly in the evening and carrying a light zipper or shrug always comes in handy. Keeping a thin zipper or shrug will also protect you from the harsh sun during your day expeditions.
January is a great time to be in Goa. It’s not as quiet as in the offseason, but it’s also not as crowded as December. You can indulge in a number of activities and also can find some quiet spots around major attractions when you need to be at peace.
3 Hip Outfits For Men for exploring Goa
1. Loose Pants – You can also choose to wear some loose cotton pants. There are a number of options available- from classic baggy pants to dhoti pants. Pick the style that suits you the best.
2. Shorts – You can also choose to wear cotton shorts. You can pair them with a number of things. Shirts make for a comfortable choice when travelling around Goa. I would recommend cotton shirts over synthetic fibres. Along with the shirts, take along a few T-shirts and tank tops. Cotton and linen fabric is the best and most comfortable option.
3. Loose Pants – Goa is the perfect place to experiment. Try some quirky pants like dhoti pants etc. and pair them with your favourite T-shirts, shirts and tank tops.
Sneakers/ Comfortable Shoes – Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers if you plan to indulge in some local sightseeing or wish to go for some hikes. Walking around in flip flops gets tiring, so you need comfortable footwear.
Light Zipper– During January, Goa can get a little cool in the morning and evening. Carry a thin zipper of a hoodie. It will not only be helpful in the mornings and evenings; it comes handy even in the afternoons if the sun feels too harsh on your skin.
What to wear in Goa in January- Other Essentials and Accessories
There are certain other things that are a must when visiting Goa in January. While some of these are optional, others are absolute must-haves.
Must-Have Things in Goa in January
- Sunglasses – Make sure you buy some good sunglasses to protect your eyes from the Goa heat. They needn’t be super expensive; they just need to do the job well. Choose a pair of sunglasses that are big, comfortable and offer 100% UV protection (both UVA and UVB). I found these pretty good sunglasses online. They look stylish, are UV protected and pretty much in budget.
- Hair Band – If you are a woman and have long hair, a hairband will be a saviour. Goa can get very humid and it’s bad for the hair. Tie your hair up and use a hairband to keep that hair away from your face.
- Bag – You need to carry a bag for all your day to day travel needs. The bag should be big enough to hold your essentials like sunscreen, lip balm, water bottle, mobile phone, etc. Tote bags are a great choice. For guys, I would suggest messenger bags.
- Sunscreen Lotion – You must apply sunscreen on your exposed skin. Apply a good sunscreen lotion with an SPF of at least 50. Also, make sure you reapply me every few hours. Wash your face or simply wipe off with a wet tissue and reapply the sunscreen.
- Sun Hat – Broad rimmed hats are really helpful in protecting against the harsh sun. You can get one of the straw hats at the beach itself.
- Lip Balm – Your lips need protection from the sun too. The sun can be harsh on your lips. Choose a UV lip balm to keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun. I have tried a lot of lip balms, but I like the SPF 15 Nivea lip balms the best. They are lightly tinted with a mild fragrance. Men can opt for the untinted lip balms.
I hope this blog helped answer your question of what to wear in Goa in January. If you have any questions, other recommendations, please feel free to drop them in the comment section below. I will be happy to hear from you.
Happy Wayfaring 😊