What to wear in Goa in December? You need the answer to this question before you start packing your bags for the much-awaited Goan holiday.
December is the busiest time in Goa. Your choice of clothing in Goa during this time has to be in sync with the weather, the location and the level of comfort.
Goa is my all-time favourite beach destination. I have visited the place in almost all kinds of weather conditions and seasons. Therefore, in the current blog, I will assist you with choosing the best outfits for your visit to Goa in December.
What to wear in Goa in December – Stylish & Comfy Outfits
December is the time when Goa is the liveliest. With the Christmas and New Year around, all of Goa is buzzing with visitors from all over the world. This means that the best beaches of Goa will get busier and accommodations will get more expensive. In case you are interested, you can take a look at my tried and tested budget stays in Goa where I have had a great experience.
Weather-wise, December is cooler and more pleasant when compared to November. The weather is dry and the sea is calm which makes it the best time to visit Goa.
Before I go into the details of what to wear in Goa in December, here is a quick overview:
|Weather Conditions in Goa during December|
Hot and Dry
Average Day Temperature- 33 degrees Celsius
Average Night Temperature- 24 degrees Celsius
|What to Wear in Goa in December for Women- Top |
Dresses- both long and short
Skirts- long and short
Full-length pants/ palazzo for the slightly conservative places
Swimwear for the beaches
Cotton Shorts & Tops for almost everywhere
Flip flops/ Crocs to wear with above
|What to Wear in Goa in December for Men?|
Swimming shorts/ trunks for the beaches
Shorts/ Bermudas can be worn almost everywhere
Cotton Shirts/T-shirts can go with all your outfits
Full-length pants for some conservative places
Flip flops/ Crocs
December is considered to be the best time in Goa. The whole of Goa emanates a festive vibe. The crowds begin to pour in and the beaches and clubs are all set for parties. If you feel like, watch my video on the essential packing list for Goa.
What to wear in Goa in December depends on where you are going. If you are going to the beach, your attire is going to be different than what you will wear when exploring Goa’s other attractions.
Here are some of my outfit recommendations for Goa based on locations:
Uber Cool Outfit Ideas for Goa Beaches for Women & Men
The beaches of Goa are buzzing during December. There are beach parties, water sport activities and many other things happening. This is also a good time to take a dip in the sea as the temperature is quite favourable and the sea is calm.
Here are my recommendations for what to wear n Goa in December:
4 Chic Beach Outfits for Women in Goa
Goa is one of those places in India where you can actually wear a bikini on the beaches. You will find many Indian nationals and foreigners chilling on the beach in their swimwear.
1. Dresses– Pack your favourite dresses for Goa. Dresses are the most comfortable and stylish piece of clothing for this season. avoid any bodycon dresses. Dresses are air, comfy and of course, they look wonderful in the pictures! You can add a scarf and hat to the outfit. It serves a double purpose- looks really nice & protects you against the sun at times.
- Best dresses for the beach- I would suggest sundresses, boho and maxi dresses.
- Avoid these please – Any bodycon dresses
2. Shorts – Shorts are always high up on my Goa packing list. Shorts are the best piece of clothing for Goa’s hot weather. They are not only comfortable but they also give you the ease of movement. They are just perfect if you wish to indulge in some water sports or want to take a dip in the sea.
|Tip: If you plan to swim, choose polyester or nylon blended material shorts. Cotton shorts become very sticky and uncomfortable when wet. Once wet, they are not that easy to dry (Thankyou, Goa Humidity!)|
Here are a few things you can pair your shorts with
- Loose cotton boyfriend Tshirts for the cool & comfy look
- Look glam Tank top or tops
- Spaghetti and open shrug/shirt for a little protection from the sun
3. Skirts – Skirts are a great choice as well. I would suggest that you go for A-line skirts, as they look and feel the best. You can choose the length of the skirt based on what you are comfortable with. It’s okay to wear a long or a short skirt, the choice is yours!
4. Swim Wear – December is the best time to take a dip in the sea. The water remains around 28 degrees Celsius which is perfect for a swim. Therefore, make sure you carry your swimsuits. You can wear any type of swimsuit at the beaches in Goa, be it monokinis, bikinis or the really cool tankinis for the shy ones.
If you are planning to wear a swimsuit, carry a Sarong, kaftan and cover-up dresses. Wear them over your swimsuits and you are good to chill on the beach. My favourite is tasselled cover-up dresses. They are light, airy, comfortable and look really nice. You can buy some really cool cover-up dresses and kaftans at the beach markets in Goa.
|Tip: Keep those Bikinis strictly to the beaches. Avoid wearing revealing outfit outside of beaches to avoid unwanted attention.|
Pair your favourite dress, shorts, skirts or swimsuit with a pair of flip flops or open sandals. Avoid wearing leather or suede flip flops, as the sand and water can disfigure them.
3 Really Chill Beach Outfits for Men in Goa
While women have many outfit choices for beaches, men can look amazing too. Here are some cool outfits for men for the beaches in Goa:
1. Shorts – Shorts are a pretty great option to wear on the beach for men.
You can wear them with the following for a cool look:
- Wear them with shirts. Choose shirts that are a little loose. Printed and colourful shirts look the best with plain Bermuda shorts. Choose natural fabrics like linen, cotton, etc.
- Bright coloured Tank tops and T-shirts also look great with shorts as well
Wear them with tank tops, shirts or t-shirts. Go for lighter colours since they look the best on the beaches. Along with the shirts, take along a few T-shirts and tank tops. Cotton and linen fabric is the best and most comfortable option.
2. Swimming Trunks/ Shorts – December is a great time to take a dip in the ocean. If you plan to do so, make sure you carry swimwear. These are usually made up of nylon or polyester and therefore dry up quickly.
3. Loose Pants – If you are not comfortable with the idea of shorts, it is perfectly alright to wear some loose pants. Pair them with some stylish t-shirts or shirts and you are good to chill on the beach.
Flip flops and sandals are the best options for footwear at the beaches in Goa. They go well with all your attire. Avoid wearing leather or suede flip flops, as the sand and water can disfigure them.
Look Dapper & Stay Comfy with these outfits when out exploring Goa
There are many more things to explore in Goa other than the beaches. You can visit the famous temples, churches, fort and even villages. While there is no dress code for places in Goa as such but some places may require you to dress more modestly.
Here are some of my recommendations:
4 Comfy & Stylish Outfits for Women exploring Goa
1. Palazzos or Loose Pants – These are a very comfortable option for exploring Goa. They are airy, light and look great. These are my personal favourites. You can also choose to wear some loose cotton pants. There are a number of options available- from classic baggy pants to dhoti pants. Pick the style that suits you the best.
You can wear them with t-shirts, crop tops or tank tops. Wear them for – churches, temples, forts & beaches, essentially everywhere.
2. Shorts – You can also wear cotton shorts paired with T-shirts for exploring Goa. Make sure the shorts are of decent length. By decent, I mean at least mid-thigh. Booty shorts or hot pants is not really a good idea. If you are planning to go hiking or want to indulge in some adventure sports, stick to pants or shorts.
3. Dresses – Dresses are a good option as well. Also, make sure that the dresses are not too revealing or inappropriate if you are going to visit any religious places like temples and churches. Knee-length dresses can be worn in such places.
4. Skirts – Skirts are yet another comfortable option for Goa. While you can wear any length skirts in Goa, if you are visiting some old villages or religious places, I would suggest you stick to the knee-length skirts. Again, these go very well with tops, T-shirts, and shirts.
Scarf – Carry a couple of scarves. You can use them to protect yourself from the sun and also use it to cover up if you visit some religious places.
Footwear – Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers if you plan to indulge in some local sightseeing or wish to go for some hikes or spend your time in places other than beaches. Walking around in flip flops gets tiring, so you need comfortable footwear.
Carry a light shrug or a zipper. Although the temperature in Goa doesn’t fall a lot, they can dip slightly during December.
3 Comfy & Stylish Outfits for Men exploring Goa
1. Loose Pants – You can also choose to wear some loose cotton pants. There are a number of options available- from classic baggy pants to dhoti pants. Pick the style that suits you the best.
2. Shorts – You can also choose to wear cotton shorts. You can pair them with a number of things. Shirts make for a comfortable choice when travelling around Goa. I would recommend cotton shirts over synthetic fibres. Along with the shirts, take along a few T-shirts and tank tops. Cotton and linen fabric is the best and most comfortable option.
3. Loose Pants – Goa is the perfect place to experiment. Try some quirky pants like dhoti pants etc. and pair them with your favourite T-shirts, shirts and tank tops.
During December, Goa can get a little cool in the morning and evening. Carry a light zipper just in case the temperatures drop. Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers if you plan to indulge in some local sightseeing or wish to go for some hikes or spend your time in places other than beaches. Walking around in flip flops gets tiring, so you need comfortable footwear.
What to wear in Goa in December- Essentials and Accessories
There are certain other things that are a must when visiting Goa. While some of these are optional, others are absolute must-haves.
6 Must-Have Things in Goa in December
The answer to what to wear in Goa in December is incomplete without the following essentials:
- Sunglasses – Make sure you buy some good sunglasses to protect your eyes from the Goa heat. They needn’t be super expensive; they just need to do the job well. Choose a pair of sunglasses that are big, comfortable and offer 100% UV protection (both UVA and UVB). I found these pretty good sunglasses online. They look stylish, are UV protected and pretty much in budget.
- Bag – You need to carry a bag for all your day to day travel needs. The bag should be big enough to hold your essentials like sunscreen, lip balm, water bottle, mobile phone, etc. Tote bags are a great choice for women. For men, I would suggest messenger bags.
- Sunscreen Lotion – You must apply sunscreen on your exposed skin. Apply good sunscreen lotion with an SPF of at least 50. Also, make sure you reapply me every few hours. Wash your face or simply wipe off with a wet tissue and reapply the sunscreen.
- Sun Hat – Broad rimmed hats are really helpful in protecting against the harsh sun. You can get one of the straw hats at the beach itself. A sunhat near the beach will cost about 100- 200 INR.
- Hair Band – If you are a woman and have long hair, a hairband will be a saviour. Goa can get very humid and it’s bad for the hair. Tie your hair up and use a hairband to keep that hair away from your face.
- Lip Balm – Your lips need protection from the sun too. The sun can be harsh on your lips. Choose a UV lip balm to keep your lips hydrated and protected from the sun. I have tried a lot of lip balms, but I like the SPF 15 Nivea lip balms the best, they are lightly tinted with a mild fragrance. Men can opt for the untinted lip balms.
Accessorise your favourite outfits with some quirky jewellery. Avoid any chunky heavy jewellery. Infact you can buy some jewellery at the local beach markets.
Ladies, I would suggest that you buy a hairband like the one I am wearing in this picture. They go with all your outfits and come really handy in keeping your hair in place in the humid weather.
7 Super Useful Goa Dressing Tips for December
Apart from the above recommendations, there are certain other dressing tips for Goa in December that you need to be aware of. These tips are:
When in Goa, wear only natural fabrics like Jute, Cotton, Linen, Silk etc. They are comfortable in the hot and humid weather of Goa in December. These will allow your skin to breathe.
|Ditch the makeup|
Ladies, you don’t want your makeup to smudge in that sweaty weather. Wear sunscreen and your moisturizer. That and a hat is all you need.
|Sunscreen is a must|
The sun can be very harsh in Goa, make sure you carry a good sunscreen with a high SPF. Also, make sure you reapply it after every few hours.
|Jeans are a big no-no|
Jeans might sound comfortable but they aren’t really a good choice for Goa. The humidity will make you sweat underneath your favourite jeans.
|Say NO to leather|
Wearing leather in the humid weather is a really bad idea. Be it leather jackets, shorts or skirts, there is no place for those in Goa.
|Innerwear is not Swimwear|
If you do plan to go swimming, buy proper swimwear. Wearing innerwear on the beaches is cringeworthy. The swimwear need not be too fancy or expensive. Depending on your budget and what you are comfortable with, you can choose from several options. This goes for men as well as women.
Ladies, unpack those heels. You don’t need them here. Even if you plan to go to a club for parties, no one expects you to be in stilettos.
I hope this blog helped you in packing your bags for Goa and also gave you some interesting outfit ideas. If you have any more questions, or you have some tips to share, do share them with me in the comments section. I will be happy to hear.
Happy Wayfaring 🙂